Monday, February 20, 2017

#Teach180 Post: Days 81-90

This year I've taken on the #teach180 challenge.  The challenge is to post one tweet per day showing a glimpse inside your classroom.  I'm also putting the tweets together in a biweekly blog so that I can share the resources that I'm tweeting about.

Day 81:  Today in algebra 2 we practice simplifying rationals with this domino activity.  I don't recall where I got the domino pieces from, but I'll keep looking and update this post once I find who to give credit to.  One of the most common phrases hear today: "You've never played dominoes before!?!?"  I suppose I need to add clearer directions to help with this :) .


Day 82:  Today we had our second benchmark test.  I always get really nervous for kids on these days.  I hate giving big multi-unit tests as much as they hate taking them.  I suppose it helps with retention though, so there's that at least.



Day 83:  Today in geometry we practiced the side splitter theorem playing a game of BOOM!  I found this card game idea on here on TpT.  My high school kids mainly seemed to like the game since they were able to yell BOOM! at random times.



Day 84:  Today in algebra 2 we practiced simplifying complex fractions with this color by number activity.  Worksheets are a little more fun with a hidden picture to uncover :)  Here is the document if you'd like to use it.


Day 85:  Today in geometry we practiced using the triangle angle bisector theorem using this matching activity.  Matching assignments are great because they are self-checking and students know right away whether or not they are on the right track.


Day 86:  Today was one of our last few days of class before midterms start.  We practiced using +Khan Academy and we worked on our midterm review packets.


Day 87:  Today we had our last quiz of the semester.  Just one last day of classes, and then it's time for midterm exams.


Day 88:  Today was the last day of classes before midterms.  We spent the period wrapping up, reviewing and reflecting.  Students graded my performance for the first semester using this teacher report card by  Matt Vaudrey.  I'll write a post soon about the areas that I did well and where I need to improve.


Day 89:   Today was the first of four days of midterms.  I had one student take her test early today, but everyone else is taking their math test tomorrow.  Today was just filled with proctoring and catching up on last minute grading as well as getting a jump on prepping for the third marking period.


I was also spotlighted on ExploreLearning today.  I'm fortunate to have a subscription to their Gizmo lessons this year.  They have been so helpful in helping my students see visual connections in math topics.


Day 90:  Today my students took their midterms.  It will be a day and weekend full of grading.



That's all for this time.  It's never too late to join in on #teach180!

No comments:

Post a Comment