Monday, July 27, 2015

MTBoS Love - Graph of the Week




Kelly Turner has this great site.  I can not find her on twitter, so if you know her personally, convince her to join.  Then tell me about it so I can follow her.

She posts a graph with reflection questions every week during the school year.  I like to use these as warm-ups with my 9-12 students.  She asks students to look at a new, relevant, and interesting graph.  Students practice reading the graphs to answer questions like:  What is the topic of the graph? What do the axes represent? What observations can you make? What do you think will happen in the future?

Reading graphs is always a frustrating topic for me to teach.  It seems like something that high school kids should be able to do, but  it turns out they can't.  I like to use this resource once a week to give my kids extra practice.  We also discuss misleading graphs and bias.

No comments:

Post a Comment