Thursday, August 18, 2016

Pinned It - Did It: Dice


I saw a pin about using dice to practice operations between two mathematical items.  I immediately bought 3 sets of these dice from amazon.  I use two die and one counter chip per group.  Each face of the dice has an expression of some sort written on it while one side of the chip would mean one of two operations.

My students always enjoy using the die and it makes a fun alternative to a worksheet.  I used these to practice adding and subtracting polynomials, multiplying and dividing complex numbers, composing functions, operations on matrices, and probably a few other topics that I can't recall at the moment.

These dice in particular are ok, but you may want to look for something better.  Dry erase and  wet erase markers do not work because students smudge the writing.  You need to use a sharpie.  Then to get the writing off, I use a combination of a magic eraser and nail polish remover.  It works considering I already invested in these, but it would be nice to find something that works better.

No comments:

Post a Comment