Friday, July 17, 2020

Practice Structures: Mazes


Here's another fun practice structure: mazes.  I have only made one of these so far. It was pretty work-intensive and it will only work with short questions.  Therefore, I will probably use very few of them with my current teaching schedule. Both consumer math and statistics require long problem setups and/or long detailed solutions.  Algebra might be a better place for these since there are more opportunities for straight-forward numerical answers.


None the less, I did make one maze using this template.  The template worked well for the most part but I did end up replacing a few of the textboxes when I could not get my text to wrap and shift correctly.


To create your own, you need a bank of questions (multiple choice would be great, but you can make-up your own wrong answers as well.  Beginning with the “start” box, enter each question and use one of the small boxes to place the correct answer and the others for the distractors.  It works best for me to put all of my correct solutions in and questions in first so that I know the maze will end at the finish line correctly.


In the one that I made, I actually ended-up filling the remaining question boxes with correct questions and answers.  I’m not sure what prompted me to do it, but I figure that learners will be able to continue through the problems, even if they miss one along the way.


Here is the one that I made: Simple Interest Maze


As always, I welcome your questions, comments, and compliments :)


Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment