Sunday, June 4, 2017

Practice Structures: Racko

Practice Structures: Racko



I'm always on the look-out for ways to make practice and fluency building more engaging for students.  After hearing about other activities where students order values from increasing to decreasing order, I remembered playing the game Racko.  In Racko, players try to organize 10 cards in increasing order.  The cards are numbered 1-60 and are originally arranged in random order.  Players have the chance to switch-out one card at a time until they are all in order.  You can read more about how to play to actual game here.

My idea is to replace the original cards in the game with math problems.  The rules remain the same.  I have not tried this in my classes yet, but look forward to doing so.  I created three versions of the game that you can try in your classroom.  I created one for elementary school, one for intermediate, and one for secondary.  I'd love to see versions that you create as well.

Racko - Grade 2 - Practice making the next ten and adding to a multiple of ten.
Racko - Grade 5 - Multiply Decimals by 10, 100, and 1,000
Racko - Geometry - Angles formed by parallels and a transversal

No comments:

Post a Comment